Meeting of the Working Group on Combating Terrorism
The 11th meeting of the Working Group on Combating Terrorism, Organized Crime and Drug Trafficking (WGCTOC) took place at the Deputy Ministers' level in the GUAM Secretariat in Kyiv. The meeting was held under the presidency of a new Chairman of the WGCTOC, Deputy Minister of Internal Affairs of Georgia Mr. Georgiy Lordkipanidze with the participation also of Deputy Minister of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan Mr. Vilayat Eyvazov, Deputy Minister of Internal Affairs of Ukraine Mr. Vasiliy Marmazov, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Republic of Moldova Mr. Nikolay Gumenny, and GUAM Secretary General Ambassador Valery Chechelashvili. The representatives of the US Embassy in Ukraine and the US Department of Justice ICITAP Program were invited also.
The main results of the meeting are the following:
- the approval of 2006-2007 Report on WGCTOC activity;
- the agreement of 2008-2009 schedule of seminars and training for law-enforcement officers of the GUAM Member States in spheres of combating drug trafficking and trade in persons as well as of the list of equipment for modernizing National Information Management Centers of the GUAM Interstate Management System;
- the agreement on the dates of the GUAM Member States' expert meeting on protection of information;
- the approval of the mechanisms of exchange of information through the GUAM Law-Enforcement Virtual Centre on larceny, illegal trafficking and trade in vehicles and on stolen or lost firearms;
- the WGCTOC Decision on determining its working sub-groups and their Coordinating Countries for the period of 2008-2009 - on combating drug trafficking and terrorism (the Republic of Azerbaijan), on combating trade in persons and illegal migration (the Republic of Moldova), and on combating corruption and money laundering (Georgia);
- the approval of 2008 WGCTOC Action Plan.
The next WGCTOC meeting will be held in November 2008 in Tbilisi.